Ingredients: For the filling: – 2 cups peeled, cored, and finely chopped apples (about 2-3 medium-sized apples) – 1/2 cup granulated sugar – 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon – 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg – 1 tablespoon cornstarch – 1 teaspoon lemon juice – 1 tablespoon water For the pastry: – 2 sheets of frozen puff pastry, thawed – 1 egg (for egg wash) – Vegetable oil for frying
Instructions: 1. Start by preparing the apple filling. In a saucepan, combine the chopped apples, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the apples become tender, and the sugar is dissolved, about 5-7 minutes.
2. In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch, lemon juice, and water until the cornstarch is completely dissolved. Add this mixture to the apple filling and stir well. Continue to cook until the mixture thickens and resembles the consistency of pie filling, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and let it cool completely.
3. Preheat your deep fryer or a large, deep skillet with about 2 inches of vegetable oil to 350°F (175°C). 4. While the oil is heating, prepare your puff pastry. Roll out each sheet slightly to make it a little thinner. Cut each sheet into four equal squares.
5. Beat the egg in a small bowl to create an egg wash. 6. Place about 2 tablespoons of the cooled apple filling in the center of each puff pastry square. Brush the edges of the square with the egg wash.
7. Fold the square in half, forming a triangle, and press the edges together to seal the pie. 8. Carefully place the pies into the preheated oil and fry until they are golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per side. Make sure to flip them to ensure even frying.
9. Remove the fried pies from the oil and place them on paper towels to drain any excess oil. 10. Let the pies cool slightly before serving.
Enjoy your homemade McDonald's-style fried apple pies! They may not be identical to the ones you remember, but they'll come close to satisfying your craving for that classic treat.